A question came in from a reader who asked about his daughter. She is a preteen with asthma and severe eczema.
1. My first recommendation for asthma and eczema is to avoid sugar, wheat and dairy.
2. Use magnesium in the form of magnesium bath flakes, powders or Epsom salts and magnesium lotion spread on the skin. You can also take magnesium by mouth. See my magnesium supplement recommendations under Resources on my website.
3. I also recommend extra virgin coconut oil as a daily skin lotion plus few teaspoons (for children) and a few TBSP (for adults) taken orally for its antifungal and anti-inflammatory action. See my blog of June 10, 2011.
4. Add Prescript Assist, the soil-based probiotic that I talked about in my June 20, 2011 blog. By bringing the body’s good bacteria back into balance, bad bacteria and yeast are minimized along with their potential to cause or worsen asthma and eczema.
5. Magnetic clay can be used if you suspect eczema and asthma are due to toxicity. See my blogs on clay used for detox and clay used for radiation. In many chronic conditions multiple drugs have been used creating an unacceptable level of toxicity in the body. Blend up 1/4 to 1/2 cup of clay in your blender with 32oz of water and pour that into your hot water foot bath or tub. Soak for 30 min and shower off. Do a bath or footbath at least three times a week.
6. Nascent Iodine is a low dose iodine product that can be safely taken to support the thyroid. Review this excellent power point lecture on iodine with three leading iodine doctors discussing the prevalence of iodine deficiency and the importance of iodine treatment.
Iodine is an essential mineral for thyroid function. Using 24-hr urine tests for iodine I never found anyone who had adequate iodine. The thyroid has many functions, which include the health of the skin and mucus membranes of the bronchial tubes.
There is a simple test you can do to see whether or not you need to continue taking iodine. Before bed, paint the sole of your foot with 2 drops of iodine. If in the morning the iodine is absorbed completely, with no color remaining, this means you are absorbing iodine because you need it. Do this test two weeks to see if the drops are still being absorbed.
On the same page as Prescript Assist you will find magnesium oil, magnetic clay and Nascent Iodine.
As I write this blog it’s obvious to me that the above recommendations fit dozens of health conditions and provide very simple strategies for you to regain your health and to stay healthy.
Carolyn Dean MD ND
The Doctor of the Future®
RESOURCES: Along the borders and in the links of my web site you can find my books, writings, and my call-in radio show. Email your questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org.