Just Take Your Magnesium - Dr. Carolyn Dean MD ND

Just Take Your Magnesium

November 16, 2011

I’m getting reports that occasionally doctors are recommending magnesium…but the wrong kind. Here’s one letter from a reader.

“I have polycystic kidney disease. I have been instructed by my kidney specialist to take 4 magnesium oxide pills per day. However, no matter how many I take, my magnesium levels remain low and I have some of the symptoms written in an article you wrote that was given to me at the health food store.”

I’m sure most of my longtime readers can spot the discrepancy in this story. That’s right, magnesium oxide has the honor of being The Least Absorbed Magnesium. It’s 4% absorbed and the other 96% goes through the intestines causing a laxative effect. That may be OK for the 60% of the population that’s constipated. But if you’re trying to absorb magnesium into your cells to treat symptoms of palpitations, muscle cramps, high blood pressure, migraines and diabetes, you can do much, much better.

Here are my answers to this query:

1. Go to my Resources page to find out about the many different forms of magnesium. Taking pills, powders, liquids, creams and baths will saturate you with enough magnesium to take care of all your magnesium deficiency symptoms.

2. Magnesium is one of the safest nutrients. Read Magnesium Goes with Everything to remind yourself of the very few contraindications to taking magnesium.

3. I’ve written about the inaccuracy of blood testing for magnesium in many of my magnesium books and articles. Since blood magnesium levels are not a precise representation of the amount of magnesium in the body tissues and cells doctor’s really don’t know when and how to prescribe this mineral we are left to our own devices. To make it easier for you to know when you are magnesium deficient, here is my blog on Gauging Magnesium Deficiency Symptoms.

What’s your alternative?

Here’s a commenary in the latest Cardiology Today journal about surgical intervention for atrial fibrillation (AF)…a form of heart arrythmia.

“AF is really important because large studies predict that up to one-quarter of us are going to develop AF at some point in our lives. The question is: What are you going to do about it?”

Well, what I’m going to do about it is tell as many people as possible to take magnesium to prevent and treat heart arrythmias…cause your doctor is not likely to!

Carolyn Dean MD ND

The Doctor of the Future®

RESOURCES: Along the borders and in the links of my web site you can find my books, writings, and my call-in radio show. Email your questions to: questions@drcarolyndeanlive.com.

Want more health info like this?

Subscribe to receive FREE health tips from Dr. Carolyn Dean. We won't spam you or sell your information.

Click here to add a comment

Leave a comment: