From saliva testing, I learned that a client had high histamine levels that explained her symptoms of asthma, diarrhea, headache, irregular heartbeat, low blood pressure, rashes, hives and itchy skin. We did saliva and blood histamine levels after treatment for yeast overgrowth didn’t produce as much benefit as expected. Histamine was high on both tests.
Histamine naturally occurs in the body and is released during allergic reactions and times of stress. It’s also present in certain foods. Between 2-10% of the population can’t break down histamine fast enough before they experience one or more of a wide array of symptoms. Besides the symptoms my client experienced, high histamine can produce severe fatigue, flu-like symptoms, fibromyalgia, joint and muscle pain, symptoms of IBS, acid reflux, migraines, hay fever. Avoiding allergic foods, de-stressing and avoiding foods with histamine can alleviate or prevent symptoms. Histamine Intolerance is one site you can use to research this condition more fully.
Foods high in histamine include but aren’t exclusive to the following:
1. Fish: tuna, sardines, mackerel and herring
2. Sourdough bread
3. Yeast products
4. Foods with artificial colors and preservatives
5. Alcohol: beer, champagne, and wine have the highest levels of histamine
6. Cheese and Meat that are fermented, aged and processed. Meat: salami, sausage, ham, hot dogs, deli meats and dried meats. Cheese: blue cheese, parmesan, gouda, camembert, cheddar, emmental, swiss, brie, and gruyere.
7. Pickled or preserved vegetables like sauerkraut, pickles, olives
Fermented soy products and fermented dairy
The high histamine levels in fermented and pickled foods explains why some people can benefit from the anti-fungal and probiotic effects of these foods and some people feel worse.
It’s not my intent to give you yet another restrictive diet. What I do want to do is give you information that may make a difference in you health. For example, if you’ve been eating sauerkraut and fermented vegetables every day because someone told you these foods have healing properties, yet you feel worse each day, then do an experiment and go off them for a week and then try them again.
I had just such an experience yesterday. Thursday is pizza day because my husband and I produce and take part in a show on AchieveRadio called Cash Flow (7pm EST). This morning I woke up with my head and joints feeling like I had a hangover, and this wasn’t the first time. So, I finally put it together that I’m reacting to the wheat or soy or cheese (none of which I normally eat). So, the next time I crave pizza, I’ll remember my negative experience and make the decision whether or not it’s worth it to indulge.
I’m repeating the medicinal food list that I recommend in my last post because I left out coconut oil and I forgot to include the discount code for Organic Life Vitamins! My apologies.
1. ReStructure: a meal replacement with a balanced combination of protein, carbs and fat that balances blood sugar and helps with weight loss. I take this at least once a day and often twice a day along with my Antioxidant Omega-3 Greens.
2. RnA Drops: has many aspects of Souvenaid. They both affect the RNA in the body but only RnA Drops is truly a food product. I take RnA Drops twice a day.
4. Coconut Oil: I have two recommendations. One is for a U.S. based company, Tropical Traditions. The other is a European source called Dr. Goerg. Dr. Manfred Goerg is presently visiting Maui and he told me about his incredible outreach programs with children in the Philippines that he finances with the proceeds from his company.
FUTURE HEALTH NOW STORIES: These words are from a member of my Online Wellness Program. “Dr. Dean, I am bursting at the seams to tell you how you’ve improved my life with your Wellness Program. I read several modules every day. I just want you to know how you’ve enhanced my life. I feel so blessed to have met you and to have learned so much from you already. I also read your module on “The Law of Attraction”. You are so RIGHT about this. Discovering this way of thinking and being has made all the difference for me. It has helped me tremendously to focus on all of the good in my life. It has even helped me in raising my children.”
SPECIAL SALE: You can purchase the whole 2-year program at a steep discount of $97.00 instead of $240.00. Just email me at email@example.com.
Carolyn Dean MD ND
The Doctor of the Future®
RESOURCES: Along the borders and in the links of my web site you can find my books, writings, and my call-in radio show. Email your questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org.