Today, I’m writing about two separate topics. First, about Shipping rates for the Total Body ReSet formulas. After only 3 months in business at RnA ReSet we are playing with the big boys and girls and qualify for lower shipping rates. Our first priority is to implement a new International Shipping option called Ultra Priority Service. Ginney and I will make a formal announcement tomorrow, Mon. Aug 25th on the Live with Dr. Carolyn Dean radio show and give you all the details. But it’s already up and running so we can quietly assess anomalies.
Please be sure to sign up for the RnA ReSet newsletter that Ginney sends out every Monday with announcements like this, testimonials and a reminder to listen to my radio show. In this week’s announcement Ginney will lay out the “rules” for Ultra Priority Service shipping.
Magnesium absorption has not been studied properly. How much magnesium to take is very individualized but there are some rules to go by. Here’s how one reader put the question to me in a recent email.
“The literature on magnesium, including yours suggests daily dosages that range from 300mg to your optimal doses of 1000mg and more. Does this dose represent magnesium salts (which I thought it was) i.e. magnesium glycinate for example or elemental magnesium? I have been taking 1 x 900mg of magnesium glycinate at 10% bio-availability. The manufacturer’s recommended dose suggests 3 x 900mg to equate 270mg elemental. Can you please shed light on this? How much one should take noting the laxative effect as an indicator of too much?”
Let me respond in point form.
1. Daily doses can range from 300-1,200mg and it’s for elemental magnesium. Not the magnesium salts. If you’ve read my Magnesium Miracle book you will see the Magnesium Content of Various Supplements on page 243 and note that a 500mg of magnesium glycinate only provides 50mg of elemental magnesium. This means only 10% of magnesium glycinate is magnesium.
2. One teaspoon of ReMag equals 300mg of elemental magnesium.
3. The 10% bioavailability of magnesium in magnesium glycinate may refer to the 10% of magnesium in this magnesium compound. However bioavailability is a different topic than elemental magnesium dosage.
4. The few bioavailability studies on magnesium measure how much magnesium gets into the blood stream and not what gets into the cells. Magnesium that doesn’t get into the blood stream from the gut lands in the intestines and can cause diarrhea. Magnesium that gets into the blood stream and not the cells can be eliminated through the urine.
5. Forms of magnesium that dissolve well in liquid are more completely absorbed in the gut than less soluble forms. Small studies have found that magnesium in the citrate, lactate, and chloride forms is absorbed more completely and is more bioavailable than magnesium oxide and magnesium sulfate
6. When people occasionally say to me, where are the absorption studies to show that ReMag is 100% absorbed. I say, there are really no cellular absorption studies of any forms of magnesium. The studies above measure absorption from the gut into the blood- not into the cells. That’s where clinical experience becomes important.
7. Personally, I know that ReMag is 100% absorbed at the cellular level. Under the electron microscope, picometer magnesium doesn’t show up – it’s that tiny in size.
8. Clinically, any form of magnesium other than ReMag gives me, and many others, the laxative effect long before I get the therapeutic effect. So, clearly, the laxative effect is NOT the way to judge the adequacy of magnesium.
9. People are able to switch from IV to oral ReMag and increase their Magnesium RBC blood levels and improve their health.
10. With magnesium being crucial for 700-800 biological processes in the body, I want to ensure that I get the best absorbed form possible – ReMag – and I also want to make this form of magnesium available to everyone.
Carolyn Dean MD ND
The Doctor of the Future®
1. The free Smart Woman’s Guide to Weight Loss, ran from Aug 3-Aug 22 and as a grand finale Michelle Greenman is giving you a Full Access Weekend right now, Aug 23-24. My interview was on Aug 13th.
2. Getting Fit Simply is a Summit organized by Isabella Palmgren. It runs until Aug 31st. My talk is on Aug 20th and there will be Full Access to the interviews from Sept 1-5.
RESOURCES: Along the borders and in the links of my web site you can find my books, writings, and my call-in radio show. Email your questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org.