First the Good News: Tina Louise interviewed me for her Prana Boost Show™. Here are her words to announce the Podcast: “Have you ever wondered what miracle mineral 80% of the population may be deficient in & could increase your wellbeing? Do you have the courage to become your own health advocate & learn from a MEDICAL DOCTOR who is also a naturopath, herbalist, acupuncturist, nutritionist, lecturer, consultant, & author of The Magnesium Miracle. Dr. Carolyn Dean has been in the forefront of health issues for over 30 years. There are 100 symptoms in 68 categories that would inform someone that they may have a magnesium deficiency. Get ready to learn how many health issues can be healed and/or improved by adding more MAGNESIUM to our daily lives. Could it really be so simple? I am so excited to connect with Carolyn to hear her amazing stories & to share her medical journey with all of you.”
Now for the bad news. In Feb. 2014, the International Journal of Stroke reported on magnesium, given within 1 hour of onset of stroke, to 1700 patients. The treatment was 4,000 milligrams of magnesium in the ambulance and then 16,000 milligrams of magnesium during the next 24 hours, after the patient was admitted to the hospital.
The results, in terms of neurologic function, were analyzed after 3 months. Apparently there was no evidence of efficacy for any neurologic or clinically meaningful endpoint in the magnesium group vs the placebo group. Titles like the following made headlines killing all hope of using magnesium to prevent or treat stroke: FAST-MAG: No Benefit of Prehospital Magnesium in Stroke.
But Lord Sufferin Cats, just using your commonsense you can see the flaws in this study:
1. This wasn’t really a magnesium study; 40% of the patients also received IV tPA (tissue plasminogen activator). So, how could they draw any conclusion about magnesium when this was not a pure magnesium study?
2. They didn’t measure the level of ionized magnesium in the patient before giving the same dose of IV magnesium to everyone.
3. They are treating magnesium like a drug, as if a few grams (20 in total) could undo a lifetime of magnesium deficiency, where 3-12 months of intensive treatment is the norm.
4. Magnesium is protective for stroke; it’s not a drug that can undo the cumulative effects of chronic magnesium deficiency in a few days.
5. Magnesium education has to begin long before the ambulance shows up at your doorstep.
To me, this study reinforces that we must become saturated with magnesium to avoid having a stroke – not wait to suffer a stroke and treat with magnesium as if it were a Drug!
Please don’t be swayed by negative headlines about magnesium. Unfortunately you will see more and more as medicine tries to put magnesium in a drug category and prove that it doesn’t work like a drug!
Carolyn Dean MD ND
The Doctor of the Future™
SUMMITS: Websites will be added as the Summits come online.
1. 2015 Body Black Belt Summit with Health Coach, Travis Richardson runs from Sept 21-Oct 1. My interview was on Sept 24.
2. Rewire Your Brain Summit with Marna Thall launches Oct 5, 2015, my interview is Oct 9.
3. Female Fat Loss Summit with Dr Kellee Rutley launches Oct 5, 2015 – my interview is Oct 7.
4. No More Muffin Top Summit with Elle Lakovenko launches Oct 5-Oct 21.
5. The More Life Summit with Gregory Ann Cox launches Oct 19, 2015.
6. The Gut Health Turn Around Series – 21 Ways to Heal Your Gut: Reclaim Your Energy, and Look and Feel Amazing with Health Coach, Leah Kline. Airs Nov 1st -21st. 8.
7. Create Your Badass Life: Unleash The Power Of Your Mind, Body And Spirit To Create A Life You Love” with Terry Sobon. Going live November 16th, 2015.
8. The Sexy Summit: Simple Secrets for Living Your Most Vibrant, Healthy & Sexy Life with Christi Cass launches Nov 16.
9. Kick the Sugar! How to Live a Vibrant, Energetic Life and Kick Diabetes to the Curb with Tursha’ Hamilton, ND.
RESOURCES: Along the borders and in the links of my web site you can find my books, writings, and my call-in radio show. Email your questions to: email@example.com.