In Dec 2014 I wrote a blog called Mixed Flu Messages that I’ll reprint here to remind you that you are in control of your health and you don’t have to depend on the flu vaccine to keep you safe.
In fact, every year the flu vaccine turns out to be less and less effective. If you google “2017-2018 flu season” you are hit with scary headlines that tell you to be very afraid of the flu, to get vaccinated, and to take antiviral medications. The fear instilled by the media who think they are “warning the public” is enough to make you sick because they have no real solutions!
Yet, when you google “2017-2018 flu vaccine” the headlines claim that this season’s flu shots are less effective than usual. And that’s saying something because I’ve detailed in a Nov 2017 blog that in general, Flu Vaccines Don’t Work and their effectiveness is somewhere between 4-6%!
Here is what you can do to prevent and treat the flu, and I’ve been saying it for decades! It’s excerpted from my Future Health Encyclopedia, which all of you should have on hand so you can be your own doctor! NOTE – the PDF version is from 2017 but the Kindle version is lagging behind with the 2015 version. I am having that updated now.
COLDS AND FLUS
In natural medicine we think of colds and flu as the body’s way of eliminating mucus. In Total Biology, colds and flu are evidence of resolution of conflict. The mucus builds up due to excessive eating or poor eating habits, lack of rest, overwork, temperature changes, conflict, worry or climate changes as in the fall and spring. To remedy this, eat wholesome foods and get enough rest. At the onset of seasonal weather changes, take hot and cold showers to acclimatize the skin. Short thirty-second blasts of cold will do.
If a cold or flu begins, don’t fight it and don’t get mad. Take some time off, rest and heal. If you go to work, you bring your germs for others to share. If you take medications, you just put more toxins into your system and the drugs won’t really help because viruses, which are not killed by antibiotics, cause 90% of colds and flu. If anything, drugs suppress the condition and drive it deeper into your system, so it potentially can come back later in a more virulent form. Antibiotics also encourage the overgrowth of yeast, which causes more problems.
Of course, if you have a painful sore throat or a cough, phone your doctor for a throat swab or sputum culture to see if you have a bacterial and not a viral infection. If you must take antibiotics, always eat plain, unsweetened organic yogurt or take probiotic capsules. I recommend Prescript Assist. These replace the good bacteria that the antibiotics kill.
* To prevent germs from spreading to other susceptible people, cover your mouth when coughing, don’t use cloth handkerchiefs and wash your hands before touching other people or their possessions.
* While you are sick, keep your toothbrush in 3% hydrogen peroxide (that you can get from the drug store), then replace or boil your toothbrush when you recover so you won’t reinfect yourself.
* Stop all sugar, dairy and gluten to decrease mucus and don’t eat heavy foods such as meat and fried foods.
* Don’t smoke.
* Take plenty of fruit and vegetable juices and chicken broth.
* If there are no contraindications, use a warm-water enema with the juice of one lemon to pull out toxins.
* Take Epsom salts baths, 2 cups in hot water, to open pores.
* For winter colds wear lots of clothing layers to encourage sweating, wrap a scarf around your throat and wear a hat at all times to avoid the possible loss of 40% of your body heat.
* Use a vaporizer; mucus can collect at night if the air is too dry.
* Do chest clapping to loosen mucus in the chest.
* Vitamin C complex: Choose a food-based organic product. Dosage: One tablet, once or twice daily to support the adrenal glands. I recommend Grown by Nature. (Use discount code gbn123.)
* Magnesium: Choose ReMag, a 100% absorbed, bioavailable, non-laxative magnesium. Dosage: ½-1 tsp twice per day. This mineral drives 700-800 enzyme systems and is responsible for the production of energy in the body. In the Books Section on the RnA ReSet website download the free book on magnesium: Invisible Minerals Part I. Make sure to take enough magnesium to maintain an optimum level of Magnesium RBC at 6.0-6.5mg/dL.
* Zinc: Use 100% absorbed bioavailable ReMyte multiple mineral, which contains zinc and 11 other minerals that all work together synergistically. Dosage: ½ tsp three times per day.
* Blue Ice Royal: Fermented Cod Liver Oil and Butter Oil provide balanced doses of Essential Fatty Acids, Vitamin D, Vitamin A, and Vitamin K2. Dosage: 1 capsule twice per day or ½ tsp per day.
* Probiotics: I recommend Prescript Assist. Dosage: Begin with 2 capsules person day for 30 days. Continue with 1-2 capsules per day, 30 minutes away from food.
* Garlic: place a small clove or half a clove of garlic in your mouth and let it sit without chewing through the day and night. Swallow with water when it becomes macerated.
* Sage tea for cough (steep twenty minutes)
* Fenugreek tea for mucus (steep five minutes)
* Ginger grated and boiled, 2 tablespoons in 3 cups of water, gargle and use as a poultice by saturating a hand towel and wrapping around the throat, changing when the poultice becomes cool.
* Use wild oregano oil, garlic, or echinacea herbal antibiotics as tincture, tablets, or teas at least three times a day
* Mullein and lobelia are for chest congestion, 1/2 teaspoon each in hot water three times a day. These herbs can also be used as a chest poultice for pleurisy, pneumonia or bronchitis.
For more details on the following remedies, read Part Five. The most common cold remedies are:
* Oscillococcinum is a combination remedy used at the first signs of a cold or flu. Some people use it when they travel, are in crowds or throughout the flu season on a weekly basis. Oscillo has undergone clinical trials for the treatment of colds and flu and is about 70% effective. Considering that flu vaccines are only about 8% effective and have side effects, it is important to have a safe remedy in the medicine cabinet.
* Gelsemium: for colds and flu due to overwork and exhaustion
* Dulcamara: for colds and flu developing at the end of summer and into fall.
* Aconite: can be used for the first signs of a cold or flu.
* Ferrum phos: is also used for the beginning of a cold.
* Kali bich: is used for colds and sinusitis with tough, stringy mucus.
*Hepar sulph: is used for a left-sided sore throat with a cold.
* Pulsatilla: is used for a cold with thick yellow mucus.
Dosage: In all cases you can use the 6X or 12X potency; take one dose every 2 hours the first day, three times a day the second and third day. However, on the first day, if it hasn’t worked by the third dose, switch to another remedy.
Post-influenza problems are becoming just as debilitating as the original flu itself. We’ve all heard stories about people that have a cold or flu for several months. Many of these people will eventually be diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS). You can read about CFS in the section Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
* RnA Drops: A unique product made from barley sprouts that test negative for gluten and produce a unique cell called the iCell, which helps make perfect cells and balances body, mind and spirit. Go to RnA ReSet for dosage instructions and more information.
* ReAline: A companion product to RnA Drops, but may also be used alone as a safe, natural detoxifier that assists any condition. It contains L-methionine, the precursor to glutathione and L-taurine along with methylated B vitamins and Betaine HCL. Dosage: 1 capsule twice per day.
Dr. Ben Goldberg, in a homeopathic newsletter, lists the following remedies to treat residual symptoms of the cold or flu:
For Gastrointestinal Symptoms:
* Antimonium crudum: For digestive upsets from the flu. Thickly coated white tongue, aversion to food, worse from eating, worse with acidic or sour drinks, fullness in the abdomen.
* Kali bich.: Heavy mucus, poor digestion, anorexic but craves beer.
* Baptisia: After the “stomach flu” for asthenia, lethargy and weakness
* Aurum met: Depression, weakness, hopelessness, brooding, melancholy, thoughts of suicide, easily annoyed.
* Cadmium met purum: A newly proven remedy for severe post-flu depression.
* Cocculus indica: Mental and physical despair, slow recovery, anorexia, insomnia, empty feeling, sick headaches. Aggravated by motion, which may cause nausea and vomiting.
* Picric acid: Inability to think, as it causes headaches. Patient lies around as the least mental or physical exertion causes extreme weakness.
* Phosphoric acid: Debility and mental exhaustion, poor recovery, weakness, indifference, apathy.
* Kali phos.: Used by some physicians as a general “pick-me-up” for the depleted state following a viral illness.
* Carbo. veg.: Carries the reputation of treating “persons who have never recovered from the effects of some previous illness.”
* Scutellaria: For nervous weakness after influenza, called nervous fear.
Dosage: For all remedies, you can use the 6X or 12X potency. Take one dose three times a day. If there is no improvement after 3 days, switch to another remedy.
Carolyn Dean MD ND
The Doctor of the Future®
RESOURCES: Along the borders and in the links of my web site you can find my books, writings, and my call-in radio show. Email your questions to: email@example.com.